Saturday, January 23, 2010

This week was kind of boring...

I had some great idea for a post the other day but it slipped my mind and I have not been able to think of it since then. Other than that, my week was rather routine. I managed to stay up for Conan's monologue for both of the last two nights, which is a pretty big deal considering all the gym time I put in this week and the fact that I go to bed at old people time (10:00 p.m. usually). I think I sit more in the Leno camp because it's all I can really remember from being a kid. I only think I stayed up for Johnny Carson maybe one time. Didn't he have a ton of curtains behind him or was I hallucinating? I do feel bad for Conan though and I hope he gets another opportunity because I think he is funny in a kind of different (college stoner) kind of way and has a niche market of people (college stoners).

Yoga is going so well. I could kick myself for not going sooner. It's one of the best things I think I've ever done for myself. I usually try to do another class or a little bit of cardio so last night I rode the bike for a few minutes and had a weird encounter with my evil nemesis trainer, Mondale, who was on the elliptical. Out of all the classes I do, he's the only instructor that doesn't actually do the work out with us (and his is SO INSANELY HARD that I will never be able to complete it) so it was kind of outer worldly to see him on the pansy elliptical machine.

I made a really easy WW recipe this week (well, it was a WW recipe before I gutted it to suit my tastes) but it came out well.

Green Chili Stew (modified from Hit the Spot, WW Cookbook), ~6 points per 1 1/2 cup serving
3 large red potatoes, quartered
3 chicken breasts
2 cans (4.5 oz) diced green chiles
1 package of reduced-sodium vegetable broth (I used one of the cardboard packs from Whole Foods, it was about 3 cups, if doing cans, I'd get two of them)
1/4 onion, finely chopped
2 tsp olive oil
2 tsp minced garlic
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
salt and black pepper to taste

Cook the chicken breasts and shred meat. I opted to bake for about 20 min at 350 degrees. I put just a touch of olive oil on each breast so they wouldn't stick to my cookie sheet and sprinkled them with Adobo seasoning. You could also marinate them for a few hours.

In a large stockpot over medium-high heat, saute onion and garlic in the olive oil until onion is softened (about 5 minutes). Add the shredded chicken saute for another minute or so.

Add the broth, potatoes and chiles to the pot and increase heat to high. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes or until potatoes are fork-tender. Stir in the cilantro and add salt and pepper.



I made this on Monday night but saved it to eat on Tuesday. It kept really well in the fridge and was great warmed up. I made three huge pots of stew (2 kinds of chili and this one) and we still have plenty of leftovers and it's so easy to come home from the gym and throw some of this in a saucepan and let it heat up. I have been eating all three soups with a little bit of Garden of Eatin' Baked Blue Corn Chips (still the only baked chips I've found that are tolerable and these are pretty good) and a little bit of fresh grated sharp cheddar. It made meals so easy this week and really delicious.

Sorry for the lack of pictures, I could take one of the leftovers but it wouldn't do it justice to show you cold. Trust me, it's yummy and doesn't require a plethora of crazy ingredients. Despite the two cans of green chiles, it's not killer spicy.

Bon appetite!

No comments:

Post a Comment