Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Manana...


My Thanksgiving officially starts tomorrow. I will wake up and start on the pumpkin pie and Oreo cheesecake I have planned, pull the turkey out of the freezer and plot what I'm going to do to season the bird, and make a few other goodies for snacking. My dad and brother are due to arrive in Chicago in the late morning and Adam is off of work so I'm sure he'll be enjoying time on the couch and playing his dorky video games. I'm so excited.

The only thing that puts a damper on my holidays is that my family isn't all together anymore since my parents are divorced. Even though this is either our fifth or sixth (lost count) holidays doing this, I'm not sure that I'll ever fully get used to it. Don't get me wrong, I think that I have a much closer relationship with each member of my nuclear family since the divorce but there is just something about this time of year that always brings me just the tiniest pang of sadness. Mom, I will really miss you this Thanksgiving.

Luckily, in my world, Christmas is easier (sorry, must pause for a moment to wipe tears from writing the last paragraph) to "divide" our time because Christmas Eve has always been a huge day for us. I AM SO GLAD that we'll be in San Antonio for Christmas Eve, it's been way too long since I got to be there for it. But anyway, last year, my dad came up for Thanksgiving which was hilarious because it was the first time he got to meet Adam. Just thinking about that makes me laugh inside because we had some serious adventures that weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment