Friday, April 17, 2009

You can find me in St. Louie

Ah... a good Nelly song... although I won't be smoking any of what Nelly references in that song. This is my second of my three training half marathon this year.

I'm finally getting around to starting my blog. I figured it's now or never (mainly because I've never had this much spare time in my life) and I feel like I'm about to go through a lot of really big life changes in the next couple of years. I also want to start keeping a record of training for the marathon and potentially a triathlon next summer.

The weather is AMAZING here in Chi-town and I am very excited to board a plane this afternoon for St. Louis. My friend Kristen, who I traveled with for KD, lives there. Tonight, Amy and I fly in and we are having a big girls night slumber party. Tomorrow, we get to meet her fiance for the first time (yay!) and she gets to meet the men in our lives since they are driving down in the very early a.m. from Chicago.

The race is Sunday morning and I am a bit troubled about it. I was nervous for my Austin race but in a different way. There were so many of you there waiting for me at the finish line so I was kind of freaked out about finishing well. Sadly, my first marathon related casualty happened last week when I broke my big toenail in half and it's kind of disgusting. I was at a hotel in Denver at their P.O.S. gym with these machines that I really hate. 36 minutes and 4 miles later, I had 2 huge blisters and my toe felt weird. I have been debating taking a picture for the blog but I think I will spare you. Never fear, dear readers, it doesn't hurt that much. It's mostly discomfort. Amy, who has been through this whole marathon training thing before, recommended that I super glue it. So I did. It's weird, it feels weird, but I think it might actually hold up for the race. Oh and it's supposed to be all gross and rainy in STL on Sunday. I've been feeling pressure (put on only by myself) to finish with a better time than the last race (2:34) but I haven't been training as well. Although, yesterday I had a really good 90 minute session and I feel OK overall.

We finally got our Wii and Wii Fit last night. It was hilarious and we stayed up really late with Preston setting it up. I was more impressed with the Wii Fit than I thought I'd be. True to what everyone told us before, that little machine is MEAN! It doesn't sugarcoat the fact that you are overweight. Let's see if it can help me take off some of the fat that I am NOT LOSING FROM MARATHON TRAINING (and yes, I am bitter about that).

Anyway, I have a really busy day ahead of me and lots of big news in the coming weeks. I will post pictures from the race on Monday.

4 comments:

  1. Punky! Long time no see! Really excited that you're into running half marathons! I've done 6 of them and love it. Have you gone for a proper shoe fitting at a high-end running store? I haven't ever had any blister or toe problems at all, mainly b/c I got fitted with an awesome shoe (Aasics Nimbus) and also b/c I got a bigger size than my regular shoes. Check it out when you buy your next pair.
    -V

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES MA'AM... I did my first one without a proper fitting. Blisters make me anti-happy. Well and the fact that I ran like a freakazoid to compensate for the blisters and then got to limp like an idiot for a month. I was fitted with the Adidas Supernovas and so far so good (as long as I stay away from Lifetouch Elliptical machines). You are my very first comment! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Luck Big JEN,Run the best you can
    LOVE DAD & BOY

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so proud of you! I haven't done another run since VA Beach. Good work girls!

    ReplyDelete